Built in 1886. This house is a one-story frame Eastlake cottage with symmetrically placed square bays and vertical proportions.This is a type common to the area.The home also features composition siding, double hung windows, a straight bay, and plain boxed cornices with decorative brackets. Some alterations have been added, including a garage built in 1915.The original owner of this home was W. Orton, a farmer from Elk River who built this six room cottage with the intention to rent it out. He ultimately planned for the construction of three cottages on the lot, all of which would be for rent. J.L. Wood was in charge of construction. The progress on the construction of the building was chronicled in the Daily Humboldt Times newspaper.
(Credit: Eureka Heritage Society’s Architectural Survey Files)