It is here that one can sense the relationship at play in Eureka almost a hundred years ago. Almost every surrounding building was here, this street was the principal artery for the city, and Willam Carson’s manor house was sited at the head of the street. His house dominated the city then much as it does now. Carson had recognized the significance of his eventual home site, and had to have two houses moved from that site before he could begin to build. The brick building on the northeast corner has iron pillars cast with “Savage & Sons, 1877”.