Built 1871. Relocation has played an important part in the history of this building. Originally constructed near the site of the William Carson mansion, this L-shaped house was sold to Mr. Carson and eventually relocated to M Street. Later, it was moved again to Third Street when Mr. Carson gave the house to John Gillis, one of his employees. A drawing of the house on its original site can be seen on page 100 of Elliot’s “History of Humboldt County”, published in 1882. The house plays on Eureka’s vernacular Gothic and Greek revival traditions in its form, but represents the Italianate style in its thin, paired windows, bracketed with window moldings, and porch detail.
(Credit: Eureka: An Architectural View)