Built 1870 by John Smith. This house demonstrates the Italianate “upgrading” that much Greek Revival architecture underwent in Eureka. While the porch is integrated into the classically inspired house, its pierced columns and thin profile suggest a later date. The windows also appear to be a later alteration, as the single-pane configuration was not technically feasible when the house was constructed. The latticework on the porch is not original.
(Credit: “Eureka: An Architectural View”)